Thursday, May 10, 2012

In the beginning


Dear Friends,
It has been 2 years since we left our home in Kazakhstan and came to this beautiful country of Georgia to establish a Teen Challenge center. These were wonderful and difficult days all at the same time, but we are very thankful to God for the privilege to be here, to know such great people, and to be a part of the great team. We also thank Doug and Anna Boyle, who are the founders of Teen Challenge Kazakhstan and Teen Challenge Georgia for the opportunity to work with them here. With the help of many people from Georgia, Kazakhstan, Australia and other countries we made it happen. Teen Challenge Georgia has been in existence for 2 years now, and about 20 addicted people from Georgia and Azerbaijan have passed through the program during this period. We have 3 graduates, 2 of them stayed to serve others with the same problems. This is really something to thank God for.

How we began
The first Teen Challenge center was founded in 1958 in New York. Today the centers number more than 1000 in 90 countries of the world. The largest Teen Challenge Center in the former Soviet Union is located in Kazakhstan which has been effectively working since 1995. Georgia Teen Challenge was founded in June 2010 by Doug and Anna Boyle who came with Berik, Arman and Kuanysh (graduates of Teen Challenge Kazakhstan), Saule (Berik’s wife) and Peter and Jan from Australia.

Why we exist
Teen Challenge exists to provide Biblical solutions for individuals with life-controlling issues through residential care. We believe that every person has value. Life-controlling issues are not permanent and can be changed. We are the proof of that. If it helped us it could help you.
 
“My name is Berik. I am 37 years old and deeply aware of what it is to be addicted. Using drugs, stealing and robbing were my life style since the age of 14. After 2 years of being in prison at the age of 21 and very disappointed in life I continued to use drugs and wanted to kill myself because I didn’t see the way out. My life was completely destroyed, no hope, no dream, no future. In 1998 I came to Teen Challenge Kazakhstan where I got freedom from addiction. Since that time I committed my life to help others with the same life controlling issues just as I was once helped and that is why I stayed in Teen Challenge as a worker. Today I enjoy living free from addiction for more than 13 years. I married a beautiful wife and we had 2 sons. I thank God for the Teen Challenge ministry and for all the people who helped me”.

How do we help
We offer a residential drug free, therapeutic community for those wanting to overcome tobacco, alcohol and drug addiction. We care for the spiritual, social, emotional and physical needs of the rehabilitants through personal and group studies (working on character qualities), personal counseling, English language courses, vocational training and sports activities.
Guys love to play football

 
My name is Giorgiy (photo on right). I am 32 years old. From the age of 12 I started to smoke and when I was 14 I drank alcohol and from the age of 17 I used heavy drugs. I lived a criminal life, stealing and robbing people. My life was getting worse and worse and I switched to the cheaper drugs and alcohol. My father died and my mother lost her apartment. For many years I lived in depression and fear. I had no hope and sense of life any more. In that time I heard about Teen Challenge and decided to go there. I have just graduated from the program and made the decision to stay to help others. I feel joy and hope. I thank God for the Teen Challenge program”.

Where we are now
We continue to work in our current facility and believe for the rest of the funds to complete the building construction, so we can fully function and accept as more residents. We are thankful for what we have now and are confident that for Teen Challenge Georgia the best is yet to come.

Thank you
We would like to thank everyone who has been supporting us during this period. Your continuous support and generosity is helping to make this a reality. We love you! Berik and Saule.


Contact us:
Teen Challenge Georgia
Bagebi, 11 block, flat 64, Tbilisi, Georgia
teenchallengetbilisigeorgia@gmail.com
+995 555 258056 - Berik Kadimov
+995 555 258057 - Saule Alimova


DONATIONS
HUMANITARIAN FUND TEEN CHALLENGE GEORGIA
ID 404870500
TBC - BANK HEAD OFFICE
BANK CODE - 220101819
ACCOUNT - GE66TB7822036080100001 / GEL

1 comment:

  1. Good to see someone helping the people of Georgia and surrounding countries - good for you Teen Challenge

    ReplyDelete